Below you will find an outline of a mock trial project for a high-beginner to intermediate course. This is a three-week program.
Week 1: Preteach
1. Introduction: Discuss unsolved mysteries
4. Quizlet list
5. Test: use Quizlet to generate a test for the 20 vocabulary words
1. Introduce story (watch video for homework and discuss in class)
3. Assign student roles (see below)
4. Begin individual and collaborative (if students are on the defense or prosecution teams)
1. finishing statements (see below)
2. Mock Trail! (need one room for the “court” and a second room for the jury to “adjourn” to. Jury members meet with teacher and each must give a 2-3 minute opinion before their collective vote and return to the courtroom for the final decision.
* Judge, Lawyers, and Defendant must speak throughout the trial.
* Witnesses must research their character and answer questions under cross-examination.
* Jury members must speak for teach during adjournment for 2-3 minutes.
Statements to Prepare:
- The Prosecutor’s Statement
- The Defendant’s Statement
- The Prosecutor Calls Witnesses (and defendants have an opportunity to cross-examine)
- The Defense Calls Witnesses (and prosecution has an opportunity to cross examine)
- The Prosecutor’s Closing Statement
- The Defendant’s Closing Statement
- Deliberation of the Jury
- The Verdict